Friday, May 16, 2014

Simplicity and the Curry a Few Dollars Can Buy


This afternoon, over a precious cup of coffee (traded for kombucha, which is a fair deal) on her sunny porch, a friend and I mulled over simplicity.  We talked about how at times appreciating moments or things for their happy essence requires a conscious effort to be present, to stop evaluating them for what we think might be lacking.  I’ve noticed I do this when I cook, sampling my food for what it isn’t instead of what it is.  Are the spices balanced? Could it use a bit of coriander, perhaps, or more cumin?

This is exactly what drove my worry as I scoured the grocery store for a few cheap spices.  As simple as they were, the curry recipes I brought back from Sri Lanka required more spices than I could find and afford.  Without curry leaves, and chiles in every form, I originally thought austerity might necessitate a compromise in flavour.

Not so.  With a bit of practice, I’ve found a method of currying that satisfies not only my grumbly belly, but also my desire for something rich, something special and something that harkens back to a very, very sweet time.

Too true to the story (for those that know it), the photos I took of the steamy, rich yam curry I made for lunch yesterday vanished into mealtime history.  Touché.

Basic “White” Curry
2 cups Vegetable Matter, which could be…
               Squash or Tubers (potato, yam, pumpkin), roughly chopped in 1 inch dice
               Root Veggies (carrots, beets), julienned
               Green Beans, relatively whole
               Fruit (pineapple, green banana), roughly chopped in 1 inch dice
            …any other, chopped accordingly
½ cup  coconut milk
½ cup  water (or thereabouts, to not-quite-cover)
1            fresh whole chile, green for a little heat, red for more
½ tsp   curry powder
½ tsp   salt
¼ tsp   coarse ground black pepper
¼ tsp   turmeric

Throw contents in a small pot.  Turn on medium high heat to bring to a boil.  Add water if needed (the mix should be thin and soupy).  Lower to a simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Adjust coconut milk if needed.  Pour over rice.  Don’t overanalyze.  Enjoy in its simplest form.

Feeds two not-so-hungry people or, in my case, one starving bike commuter.

No comments:

Post a Comment