Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Groceries: The First Bout


I have never spent so long shopping for so little.  Last nights grocery adventure, costing me one hour, twenty dollars and fifty-seven cents, was a new exercise in maximizing yields.

I weaved across the store, comparing commodity prices, updating a running sticky note tally, swapping and agonizing over basket contents.  I even weighed my bulk items (when was the last time you did that, reader?).  I found some discounts (50% off spotted bananas and yellowing kale), some deals (twice the lentils for less in the Asian aisle) and some saving graces (otherwise unattainable spices in the tiny bulk section).  I realized the cost of a week’s supply of coffee: about 5 times the cost of a green tea habit.

Walking in with a tight budget was one thing, maximizing my return from it was exhausting.  So focused on my own plight, I can’t fathom having the same experience with hungry children in the cart, a partner who’s dietary needs to consider, even cats to feed on the same budget.  I’m hoping I’ll improve at this with practice.


Ultimately, I don’t think I did so badly, I’ll let you decide.  If I’ve really boffed it, there’s a few more contingency dollars in the jar.


-S

No comments:

Post a Comment