Monday, November 2, 2015

Prep Work

Tonight I fed a few friends on the near last of my garden produce.  Namely we ate tomatoes: roasted, fresh, fried green.  We chased them down with the last bottle of cider from a trip south.  When they left I cleared the crisper, packed away and froze the things that would expire in a weeks time, scrubbed the shelves.  I unpacked the tiny, carefully measured bags of bulk grains, spices, coffee.  I dropped one of only four apples purchased for the week: if this apple were the globe, it sustained a bruise the size of the Indian Ocean.


It's the night before the start of the 2015 Welfare Food Challenge, and I'm dusting off the keys.  This year I'll do my best on just $21 dollars/week: $5 less than last year.  Nothing is perfect about the timing of this week, and there will be tricky meals: cafe-based work meetings, all-day conferences, road trips, dates.  I'm inspired by the critical mass, though, and curious to revisit this in such good company.  One more sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment