Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Illness & Remedy


I’m sick.  A few mornings ago, I woke up with a hole in my throat and have since run the gauntlet of cold symptoms: shivers and shakes, cough, runny nose, head and body aches.  I should mention that I almost never fall ill.  I have my suspicions that this sickness might be attributed to challenge-imposed nutrient deficiency, but I can’t corroborate this with any sound medicine.  What’s really interesting is that it’s made my usual remedies more difficult:  I eat my cures.

Thankfully, I spotted this coming on about the time I did the grocery rounds this week.  Against my better judgment then, I spent a few bucks on lemons and ginger.  Though this may not seem like much, a few bucks is a noticeable chunk of twenty-six bucks for no added nutrients.  By some sort of divine justice not only did I happen to have some stock in the freezer, I also happened to get a small jar of honey from attending a community input session last week.  I may be relegated to eating mung beans and rice vermicelli for the rest of the week, but between a days bed rest and a few hot lemon gingers, I was able to nip this cold in the bud.

Hot Lemon Ginger
(about a teapots worth)

1 lemon
1 red thai “bird” chile
2 in. sliced ginger

Boil contents in a pot of about 1 L of water for at least 15 minutes.  Strain as needed (keep on the stove) add honey to taste.  Detox your blood, feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment